Author: runsarahrun
•10:55 AM
Last night, I was reading one of my new books, "26 Miles to Boston" by Michael Connelly (great read, by the way!). The beginning of the book really does a good job describing the history of Boston from a number of different perspectives (from race directors, town officials, volunteers, amateur runners, spectators, vendors along the route, and the elite runners). The description of Hopkinton and the 1000s upon 1000s of people that will congregate there the morning of the 19th, got me wondering how large the town is. Given the number of port-o-potties that will be lined up, the runners corrals organized on different streets, and the Athletes' Village itself, it really can't be that small - right? 


So I google the area that all of this organized chaos should take place. As was perusing along the Pike via Google Maps, I noticed that Hopkinton is practically halfway to Springfield! I seems like Hopkinton is about 10 miles wide ... do I really have to run from all the way out THERE?? The fact is that its 26.2 miles to Boston no matter how big Hopkinton really is. There is no way to get around that. 26.2 miles is 26.2 miles no matter how you look at it!


As I have been telling people that I am training to run Boston, the common response is "Wow, that's crazy! Why??" I started to ask myself the same question....why am I doing this? Running is something I do for me. Sure, I am raising money for BMC which will greatly impact others, but the physical act of running is just for me. I guess you could say that running is a selfish act. There are very few things in life that we do for ourselves and to me, this is one of them. The fact that I am raising money for people that need it is a great motivator.

I have enjoyed sharing my experiences (both the good and the bad) as I train for this challenge, and look forward to sharing with you this last training push - only 7 weeks to go! Hopefully by the end of it I will be able to answer this question of why?? And if I haven't answered it by April 19th, then I will have 26.2 miles to think about it!!
|
This entry was posted on 10:55 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: