Author: runsarahrun
•6:40 PM


Despite what my BRAIN was telling me to do this morning (get up and do your 18-mile long run!!!!!), the little voice inside of me (a/k/a the gut instinct) told me NOT to do the long run.
Here is what my brain was rationalizing to me:
                You need to keep on track with your training schedule!
                The weather is beautiful
                You’ll feel great once you are running
                You will have something fun to blog about
                You need to prove to yourself that you can still tackle the rolling hills of North Reading & that the highly 
              successful destruction of the Newton Hills a few weeks ago wasn’t just a fluke (??? lol…isn’t it weird what 
              we tell ourselves sometimes?!)

And here is what my GUT INSTINCT was saying:
                Your body feels off today and it might not be a good idea to run 18 miles
                Your badly sprained & swollen toe (from getting it caught in the 2-ton dresser drawer knob that you 
              managed to lift of the ground yesterday) should really rest & not go for an 18-mile pounding ‘round town
                You don’t have that URGE to do a long run today
                You have such little quality time to spend with your Hubs – you should relish this time and enjoy making   
              blueberry & cinnamon/brown sugar waffles together for Sunday morning breakfast
                Don’t do it…there are plenty more long runs in your future

At first, I tried to ignore my instinct. I thought I would be fine and there was no reason to doubt that I could do my long run today. I was inches away from heading out the door (mentally) ….
But then I really started to think about it:
                My stomach felt nauseous (this is actually very atypical of me before a long run)
                I was dreading the possibility of exacerbating my toe injury – that’s all I need 8 weeks out from the      
             Boston Marathon
                My toe was still throbbing

When I think back about all of the poor situations I have gotten myself into over the years, it happened usually because I IGNORED my gut instinct. When I listen to the instinct it never fails me- ever.
Today I decided to listen to that instinct and not do my long run, despite really wanting to.
I actually caught myself thinking about what others might think if I skipped the long run (maybe they won’t think I am dedicated or that I am lazy?). Then it hit me how crazy these thoughts were! I shouldn’t do things because I compare myself to what others are doing, I should do them for ME and my current situation. Besides, just because I chose not to do my long run today does not mean that I won’t do the long run – it will just get pushed back a few days & turn in to a slightly dangerous nighttime 3 ½ hour jaunt through the streets of North Reading!
I told the Hubs that I’ll pass on the long run today, enjoyed the rare moments we can just snuggle together in bed with nothing to do and nowhere to go. And then I proceeded to make some coffee and ridiculously yummy waffles. The Hubs was pretty excited at my change of plans, which was so cute.  I love my man! J
As I grow and learn more about myself, I realize how crucial it is to listen to my instinct. I also refuse to let myself feel badly for doing what is right for my body. I don’t think it is a coincidence that I felt this way today. I think my body just wanted a break from its long run this weekend.
Moral of the story - use your gut instinct to your advantage, it is there for a reason. I think society sort of “trains” women to ignore it - do this, do that, not this, not that - but I am certainly my happiest when I listen to my instinct.
~~~
USA Vs. Canada Hockey Game tonight- you are watching RIGHT?!?  J
|
This entry was posted on 6:40 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: