•2:56 PM
- It’s a reward for sitting at my computer or in court all day. Yes, I said REWARD! If you run just enough to make it fun and don’t run when it’s not fun – then it’s always fun – yes?
- See wildlife & nature – ‘nuf said.
- I know I’m in the top 1% of the general population by running 3-5 times every week. I like doing as many things as possible to be a 1 percenter!
- It’s never too late to start. I was 30 when I first started running, and hope to continue until I’m old and gray. I continue to run because I can still do it – and it makes me think that “The Body” hasn’t changed much. I feel like I’m in my teens when I run, especially during one of those “flow runs” where it’s effortless and fast.
- It gives me a rush when I run. Not only as I’m doing it, but afterwards too. I have this light-headed feeling that lasts for an hour or sometimes more after I’ve finished. I am a worthless endorphine-addicted junkie for the period of time following my runs – and wouldn’t have it any other way!
- There are so many gagets & cute running outfits that I am increasingly enjoying shopping for: tech shirts, running caps, my Garmin gps watch, the latest greatest running shoes & sweat-wicking long distance socks ... to lululemon pants & wind-resistant jackets. Who said all you need to run is a pair of old runners??
- I have time to myself.
- I can be completely alone out in public if I want to. I can run through the woods, down a quite residential street, or on an old country road. There is such a peace about running where nobody else is.
- Running through the rain. When it’s warm & rainy, it reminds me of being a little kid and going out specifically because it IS raining outside, just to play.
- Running through the rain when it’s cold reminds me of the Newport Marathon run during a Noreaster storm. Which wasn’t all THAT bad an experience. Okay, who am I kidding: yes, it was! I think that’s a one-percenter experience.
- I love to sweat. In my mind it means I’ve done something positive. I think growing up I heard my parents and friends and friends’ parents say – “Go sweat a little bit, it’s good for you!” I feel good when I start sweating because I’m doing something physical too. Like I’m pushing myself to do something that the body wouldn’t do on it’s own. I’m showing the body that the mind is in control. If it says “RUN!”, the body runs. I like how that works.
- I can FARTLEK to my heart’s content. Huh? Yes, you read that right. Fartlek running is a bit like well, running however you want. There are no expectations before you go – except varying the speed of your typical run. You might do some slow running on the street and then move to a track for some sprints, then head out into the woods and back to the track for some steps at the stadium. You might do some short 50 yard sprints in the middle of your run through the woods. You might do some pushes to 95% and see how long you can stand it. You might skip or run backwards sometimes. It’s a German word for “have fun” or something. Ok, I won’t be lazy, I’ll Wiki it for you… Ok, it means, ’speed play’ in Swedish, not German. And it can be any exercise that, while doing it puts stress mainly on the aerobic system. The intensity of the exercise varies – and is basically up to you. It’s a bouncing between the aerobic and anaerobic systems. I don’t know why it’s called fartlek, but I do enjoy fartlekking all over the place when I run, I’ll tell you that.
- When I’m training, it gives me energy all the time. When I’m not running for a few weeks I feel lazy and tired a lot of the time. Running keeps the energy levels up.
- It keeps me in a good mood. I’m consistently more positive than I already am by nature. I might think that I’m my same old self when I’m not in steady running mode. Then, I’ll go out and run and I realize – wow, I was missing something. There’s a definite difference when I compare “Sarah not running” vs. “Sarah in running mode going every other day”. A marked difference.
- I love to push myself. Though I run mostly by myself I love to push myself during the run if I’m feeling good. I might jack up the pace and challenge myself to hold that pace until I get to a certain place. That place might be 200 yards ahead if I’m flying, or it might be 2 miles away if I’m running 80-85%+ of maximum rate. I am my own best motivator. There is little that motivates me externally. I’m ruthless with myself at times, pushing myself to run when I don’t want to run. Pushing myself to run faster up hills, never slower. Pushing myself to hold a 2/2 breathing pattern until I need to slow down to make up the oxygen deficit that is being created from the sustained push. It’s fulfilling to do little challenges throughout each run!
- I run so I can eat a little more of what I like to eat. I love pizza and chocolate, wine & blueberry beer. Because I run I can eat more of these things than maybe the average person with my same metabolism can eat. I will do nearly anything to be able to eat more chocolate.
- I run because if others see me running, they’ll understand that they can do it too. I wish more people would run. Here we are, probably 70% of us have the physical capability to run and 90% have the capability to walk – and yet less than 1% run and less than 5% walk as exercise on a recurring basis. WHY? I want the world to run because then people will be happier, more secure about themselves. They’ll be more confident and happier and I’ll get to interact with a happier and more well-adjusted populace. Put on your running shoes people!
- It erases all stress for the time you’re running. It’s impossible to feel stressed as I’m running. I don’t know why, the endorphines I guess?
- It’s a part of my life and who I am becoming. When I stop for any length of time, I don’t feel like me anymore. I’ve developed such a love for running and working out, so when I stop – it’s like I’m just not “being me”. It’s like I must do it to keep being me.
- The best reason for why I run is that it makes me feel powerful and in control of my body and my mind. It gives me confidence and strength and energy and sense of balance. I feel like I’m a much better lawyer, wife, sister, daughter and friend. I feel like I’m being proactive and a go-getter by running when others are sitting on the couch watching television. I feel like I have more patience to deal with others and also with myself. I have a lot of frustration at things that don’t go smoothly. Computers for instance. After I run it gives me a better perspective on life and things aren’t as serious anymore.


0 comments: