•5:52 PM
Welcome to my 2010 Boston Marathon Training Blog. I will be using this website to let you, my friends, family, and marathon supporters, know how my training for the Boston Marathon 2010 race is going.
My official 16 week training plan doesn't start until the middle of December, but I've been keeping up with my mileage since the Newport Marathon on 10.18.09 so as not to lose ground by the time my official training begins. I'm thrilled to report no injuries & thankfully no IT band issues (surprising given my lack of training going in to the Newport marathon). So to continue with my injury-free winter season, I plan to incorporate more strength training sessions back in to my regime. The goal is to not only get my legs & hip flexors stronger but also keep them looser. And, of course, make it to the starting line healthy and more prepared for a PR (personal record for you newbie runners out there!) than ever.
Enough about my training for now. I should really introduce everyone reading this blog to why I want to run the 114th Boston Marathon on behalf of Dana Farber. Dana Farber is one of the top 5 cancer hospitals in the United States. It is internationally recognized for excellence in research and the treatment of cancer in children and adults. I am running because in short I want to make a difference. And I know that I alone cannot defeat cancer, the disease that takes hundreds upon thousands of lives every single day. Dana Farber was the logical choice for me because providing the best care is so crucial to ensuring that cancer patients are given the best chance of surviving the disease. Moreover, Dana Farber is also taking on the larger goal of curing cancer and ensuring that no family sees a loved one fade before their eyes and pass away.
It's truly unfortunate and sad that almost every single person I come across has a story to tell about how this disease has affected them. But that's all the more reason why we must stand behind organizations like Dana Farber; because this isn't a problem that affects just a few people. Cancer disrupts lives, takes loved ones from us; it doesn't care if you are black, white, rich, poor - cancer affects everyone and it is up to all of us to fight back.
In the next 6 months, I am hoping to raise $5,000 - 100% of which will fund the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research! We all have been touched by cancer in some way... and it's our job to help find a cure for it. Whether you can donate $1,000 or even just a small amount, each dollar counts, is much appreciated, and gets me closer to my goal - not to mention the DFMC '10 team goal of $4.4 million! Please go to the website below and help support the fight and give hope that no one else will have to suffer from cancer.
Thanks for all your love and support! Keep tuning in for more stories of my journey as a member of 2010 DFMC :)


0 comments: