•4:37 PM
Well, folks... I'm commencing my second week in The Zone. Being a relatively healthy eater to begin with, I have decided to tweak my diet somewhat to kickstart some weightloss without any deprivation. On the contrary, this really is a ton of food - so much so that my husband is beginning to think I'm eating us out of house and home after only one week!
So here's the basics to the plan:
The Zone Diet sets your body up to burn fat as a primary source of fuel while you retain your lean body mass. How? By regulating the amount of insulin your body produces. From what I have read, insulin is released by the pancreas after you eat carbohydrates, and while it ensures that your cells receive the necessary blood sugar, it also inhibits fat burning, converts almost half of your dietary carbohydrate directly into fat and causes hunger. The Zone Diet moderates the insulin response by limiting the intake of refined sugars and keeping all other carbohydrates to about 40% of the diet.
The concept of the Zone is simple - every time you eat it must be in the correct ratio of Protein to Carbs to Fats. That ratio? 40/30/30 - 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. The maximum control of insulin occurs when this ratio is met.
So the verdict? Down about 5 lb., but that really doesn't say much 'cuz I fluctuate this amount all the time depending on my sodium intake, etc.. Having said that, I haven't been hungry at all. No notable increases in energy just yet. Could that be because I'm up by 4:30 most mornings?! Anyway, I will have to wait a few more weeks to provide a realistic assessment. In the meantime I'll stick with it, as it's all the same food that I normally eat ('cept for the almond butter which I have developed a taste for!) - just really need to concentrate on getting the protein in at every meal/snack.
So here's the basics to the plan:
The Zone Diet sets your body up to burn fat as a primary source of fuel while you retain your lean body mass. How? By regulating the amount of insulin your body produces. From what I have read, insulin is released by the pancreas after you eat carbohydrates, and while it ensures that your cells receive the necessary blood sugar, it also inhibits fat burning, converts almost half of your dietary carbohydrate directly into fat and causes hunger. The Zone Diet moderates the insulin response by limiting the intake of refined sugars and keeping all other carbohydrates to about 40% of the diet.
The concept of the Zone is simple - every time you eat it must be in the correct ratio of Protein to Carbs to Fats. That ratio? 40/30/30 - 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. The maximum control of insulin occurs when this ratio is met.
So the verdict? Down about 5 lb., but that really doesn't say much 'cuz I fluctuate this amount all the time depending on my sodium intake, etc.. Having said that, I haven't been hungry at all. No notable increases in energy just yet. Could that be because I'm up by 4:30 most mornings?! Anyway, I will have to wait a few more weeks to provide a realistic assessment. In the meantime I'll stick with it, as it's all the same food that I normally eat ('cept for the almond butter which I have developed a taste for!) - just really need to concentrate on getting the protein in at every meal/snack.




0 comments: