Yes, I see you, Winter Hat/Gloves. I know I haven't worn you since I did that stupid ten mile run around the lake last month in the frigid cold and biting wind gusts. Yes, I feel guilty every time I have a Christmas cookie. Yes, I know if I start wearing you, going out for my weekend long runs in the morning like I used to do when the weather was so much … well … warmer, I'll start feel less depressed and less bored. And much less like a hamster running for hours on the treadmill.
What do you want me to say, Winter Hat/Gloves? It's getting colder now and I really like burrowing in my sheets when it's winter. And then walking over to the gym where the heating is pumped up to 67 degrees and I can watch the tv whilst running mile after mile after mile. This weekend it may snow inches – on top of the foot that we got last weekend -- come on, I can't run through that. All right, I'll acknowledge that I haven't been fair. I do set the alarm early. And when I merely grab my running cap I know that doesn’t go unnoticed. I know you start hoping that I'll put you on instead, only to be disappointed when I walk out the door toward the gym leaving you in the dust.
Can I use the excuse that I don’t want to get you all wet with my sweat? That you don’t match each one of my winter running outfits? That I have to wait a little before I find just the right jacket and pants that you will go with? Oh, don't be upset. I know you been by my side through a rough year. I know I've ran the furthest and the longest with you. I know what you've done for me. I know you gave me a reason to get up in the morning when I really, really couldn't get up. I know that once we began running together, my life got better. I got to enjoy the sun and the squirrels, the walkers and joggers …
But it's a New Year, Winter Hat/Gloves. I have to say, I think it's time for us to part ways. Don't worry. I'll still be running. And it's a promise that I will keep. I just have to do it on a treadmill ‘cuz I’m too wimpy to brave the ice, slush, snow and sleet. :)
What do you want me to say, Winter Hat/Gloves? It's getting colder now and I really like burrowing in my sheets when it's winter. And then walking over to the gym where the heating is pumped up to 67 degrees and I can watch the tv whilst running mile after mile after mile. This weekend it may snow inches – on top of the foot that we got last weekend -- come on, I can't run through that. All right, I'll acknowledge that I haven't been fair. I do set the alarm early. And when I merely grab my running cap I know that doesn’t go unnoticed. I know you start hoping that I'll put you on instead, only to be disappointed when I walk out the door toward the gym leaving you in the dust.
Can I use the excuse that I don’t want to get you all wet with my sweat? That you don’t match each one of my winter running outfits? That I have to wait a little before I find just the right jacket and pants that you will go with? Oh, don't be upset. I know you been by my side through a rough year. I know I've ran the furthest and the longest with you. I know what you've done for me. I know you gave me a reason to get up in the morning when I really, really couldn't get up. I know that once we began running together, my life got better. I got to enjoy the sun and the squirrels, the walkers and joggers …
But it's a New Year, Winter Hat/Gloves. I have to say, I think it's time for us to part ways. Don't worry. I'll still be running. And it's a promise that I will keep. I just have to do it on a treadmill ‘cuz I’m too wimpy to brave the ice, slush, snow and sleet. :)
On a completely unrelated matter, THANK YOU to all who have donated to Dana-Farber over the holidays. While I have been super busy with weddings, family/friend get-togethers, work & training, it has most definitely not gone unnoticed. So a HUGE hug from me to you - it is much appreciated! I am now up to over $500 ... only $4500 more to go and I will have reached my goal. As is the case with my training, one step in front of the other - one day at a time. Slow and steady finishes the race! ;) Thanks, all!!! And don't forget, now that it is a new year, the tax deduction will go towards your 2011 taxes - it's a win-win for all! 




0 comments: