Author: runsarahrun
•6:58 PM
I happened to be reading about the history of St. Patrick’s Day last night, and learned the meaning behind the Irish flag. I should really know this already, since my stepmum is Iris, born & raised. Nonetheless, I admit my ignorance. The green and the orange symbolize opposing cultures while the white stands for the hope of unity, of peace.

Peace.

In my life there is division. Two sides of me warring against the other – pretty much every single day of my life. I certainly don’t mean to trivialize the tumultuous history of a country nor do I mean to equate my small trials to those of a nation.

The meaning of the flag simply moved me to a place of personal reflection. I want to exist in the white, that place of hope. I want to exist in peace and harmony within myself. I want to silence the internal conflict, the perfectionism, and the out of reach expectations. I want to shut the door on the all or nothing thinking that too often dominates my mind. I want to call for an inner “truce”.

Hope you had a great St. Patrick’s day! While I did manage to wear something green yesterday, the only thing green I ate was some lettuce. :-O
|
This entry was posted on 6:58 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: